|Fly to museum home page||
Hawker Hunter F.51
|Purpose:||Single Seat Day Interceptor|
|Max Speed (sea level):||520 knots|
|Cruising speed:||Approx 436 knots|
|All-up weight:||15,400 lb|
|Weapons:||Four 20mm cannons in nose, and provision for 2,000lb of bombs or rocket projectiles.|
|Range:||940 nautical miles|
HISTORYE430 was an export version of the Hunter built for the Royal Danish Air Force. The F.51 variant is based upon the Hunter F.4. E430 was the last aircraft to be built out of a batch of 30 aircraft. It first flew on the 19th of June 1956 piloted by Frank Bullen.
E430 was delivered to ESK 724 of the Royal Danish Air Force on the 18th of August 1958.
It was purchased by Hawker Siddeley Aviation on the 20th of March 1976 and registered as G-9-448. It was later disposed of to Thorpe Park Leisure Centre and from there it went to Park Aviation in Faygate, Surrey.
It was rescued from Faygate and transferred to Charlwood.
RoleSINGLE SEAT DAY INTERCEPTOR
|Currently E430 is still looking for a volunteer(s)
to help restore her to pristine condition. A large amount of work has
been carried out on this airframe. The major jobs were making panels to
replace those that were missing. Ted Wright has done a magnificent job
and continues to finish off the panels and other airframe tasks. A coat
of paint was applied to most of the upper surfaces and most of the lower
ones. A full repaint for this aircraft is due in 2008.