|Fly to museum home page||
Hunting Percival Pembroke
|Crew||2 + 8|
|Engines||2 x Piston Radial Engine - Alvis Leonides 127|
|Max Speed:||186 mph - 300 km/h|
|Max Power||2 x 540 hp|
|Dimensions:||Wing Span: 64.5 ft - 19.66m
Length: 46 ft - 14.02m
Height: 16 ft - 4.90m
|Service ceiling:||22,000 ft - 6700 m|
|Weight (Empty):||Empty 9,691 lbs - 4,400 kg|
|Weight (Max Takeoff):||13,489 lbs - 6,124 kg|
|Range:||1,012 nmiles - 1850 km|
|Entering service in 1953, the Pembroke took over from the venerable Anson in the light transport and communications role. It was developed from the Prince civil transport having a longer wing to carry an increased all-up weight.
The prototype flew on 21 November 1952 and forty-five were produced for the RAF, the last one being completed in February 1958. Rearward facing seats for the passengers were fitted for safety in common with other RAF transport aircraft.
As well as the standard transport variants, the Pembroke could also be fitted with dual controls, as a pilot trainer, or could be converted to a flying classroom for training navigators or air signallers.
Six photographic reconnaissance aircraft were produced and were used by No.81 Squadron in Malaya. Others operated from Kuwait and Bahrain in the communications role.
Pembroke’s were modified to extend their fatigue life in 1970. No.60 Squadron was still operating seven in 1987 but after a total of 35 years service they were finally withdrawn in 1988.
|Medium Transport and training aircraft
Gatwick Aviation Museum information
XK885 first flew in the middle of 1956 and spent the early part of its
life with the Far East Air Force, returning to the UK in 1962. In 1970 the
aircraft was re-sparred and allocated to 5 MU at Kemble. It then spent a
short time in Germany before again returning to Kemble. In its last flying
years it was loaned to A&AEE at Boscombe Down.
XK885 was given maintenance serial No. 8452M in June 1975, she was used for
training at St Athan.